Sunday 13 January 2008

Autosport 2008







Despite my sceptiscism about sat-nav the new Tom Tom said "you have arrived at your destination" in the carpark nearest the main halls, this turned out to be significant, later......



As usual we got there early, and had a good, (read expensive) breakfast, that was the last I saw of the boys for the next 8/9 hrs..... the range of halls is vast, and you need your energy just for the walking....exhibits from all walks of motoring, and motorsport are spread out over these huge halls, with the 'Piston heads' show having a hall all of it's own...there are massive displays from manufacturers, showing their motorsport connections, prodrive, seat,vw/audi et al.....a smorgasbord of all things yummy on four wheels, and two...Highlights for me was the display of all the mitsubishi evos from the original to the latest incarnation, a long display of white? evos...the demonstration of a porsche on a rolling road hitting 450bhp at 60mph using a new fuel....the dream car...Aston Martins were every exhibitors favorite, static display choice, whether it was for car wax or insurance, followed by Lamborghini,s of all types, this is trade days, and sales are very important!! I spent a happy hour or so watching rubber, and fossil fuels burn in the live action arena, a 9 plus, litre dragster was impressive..with a helluva display from v8 stock cars...the karting area was a little bare, this is where things get ominous.....on the sodi stand they had an electric kart!! aaaaarrrrggghhh!! 10 min racing 10 min charging!! but this was reflected throughout the show..everywhere were attempts to show green credentials, as if the show was trying to prove it was going down the eco path...bear in mind this is a trade day, and the people there LOVE motor racing!! Just to hammer home that point I wandered over to the karting arena, as I drank my coffee (yes guys I had my flask), leaning against the barrier... I became aware I had co...........in the form of David Brabham, Jonny Herbert, Darren Turner, Fiona Leggate, Gil de Ferran, Alan McNish, Louise Goodman.....Sky TV...and me...( with no make-up on) they were all taking part in a charity kart race, it was a great couple of hours watching how it should be done, and seeing how dirty all these heroes could be!!! this was near the end of the show, but a final mention is to Olivia Davies, whose little booth in a corner of a hall, held some inspirational art, all based on racing, she was a pleasure to talk to, and I would have purchased a piece if the jaw-dropping £5,500, was'nt out of my range!!! I hooked up with the guys, and we walked outside to a BLIZZARD! I was so glad Tom parked me so near, a hard drive home, in shit vis, I was grateful for the passengers, as the weight kept the car stable...



Yea Baby!!

No comments: